Silver State Equality is Nevada’s statewide LGBTQ+ civil rights organization that brings the voices of LGBTQ+ people and allies to institutions of power in Nevada and across the United States, striving to create a world that is healthy, just, and fully equal for all LGBTQ+ people. Silver State Equality is a Nevada-based program affiliated with and supported by Equality California and Equality California Institute, the nation’s largest statewide LGBTQ+ civil rights organization. Together, we’re fighting for full LGBTQ+ equality on multiple fronts:
Silver State Equality Institute brings the voices of LGBTQ+ people and allies to institutions of power in Nevada and across the United States, striving to create a world that is healthy, just, and fully equal for all LGBTQ+ people.
Silver State Equality Institute (SSEQI) is a 501(c)3 organization that has a parallel mission to Silver State Equality (SSEQ), its 501(c)4 counterpart. SSEQI advocates for and educates the broader community on important LGBTQ+ issues such as HIV, LGBTQ+ youth in out-of-home care, transgender equality, hate crimes prevention, healthcare, health disparities, and voter education and engagement.
Silver State Equality seeks a full-time salaried exempt Civic Engagement Manager to work in both a C4 and C3 capacity to register, engage and mobilize voters in northern (and parts of rural) Nevada, and organize pro-equality community members in support of pro-equality legislation and candidates while fending off anti-LGBTQ+ attacks and rhetoric. The Civic Engagement Manager will work to recruit volunteers and organize around various events, actions, and campaigns in Northern (and part of rural) Nevada. The Civic Engagement Manager will work to build coalitions and support for pro-equality policies, regulations, and bills that are introduced during the Nevada legislative session and work to identify and prepare volunteers and community members to submit written and/or verbal testimonies during legislative hearings. Additionally, the Civic Engagement Manager will work to implement Silver State Equality Institute’s programs and raise awareness about them from a grassroots and a grasstops approach.
Although this position is based in Northern Nevada, there will be some projects and activities that have a state-wide reach and focus. This position will be based in Northern Nevada and the candidate will need to live in Northern Nevada working remotely. The position will report to the State Director.
Applicants for this position should bring the following knowledge, abilities, and attitude:
1. At least 2 – 3 years of experience working in any of the following fields: politics, advocacy, community outreach, voter education and engagement, and mobilization; as well as, working in social justice areas including: civil rights, progressive and/or social justice organizations, preferably in the LGBTQ+ movement and public health.
2. Experience working on (or a desire to work on) health issues, youth issues, voter education and engagement, and/or HIV prevention and education.
3. Knowledge, passion and commitment to addressing issues impacting the LGBTQ+ community as well as advancing equality and social justice generally.
4. Strong public presentation skills, and experience in public speaking and/or training.
5. Strong written communication skills including ability to assist in writing grant proposals, draft member communications, social media outreach, and event publicity.
6. Commitment to working across lines of difference including race, class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, and legal status to achieve objectives.
7. Ability and interest to work with a wide range of organizations and institutions including other LGBTQ+ groups, unions, religious congregations, and other social justice and advocacy organizations. Demonstrated experience with at least some of these types of organizations preferred.
8. Strong desire to contribute to the mission of Silver State Equality.
9. Ability and experience in forming strong public relationships.
10. Experience recruiting, managing, and training volunteers on political campaigns.
11. An understanding of the local political landscape and relationships with local political, labor and advocacy leaders preferred.
12. Proficiency with political data, EveryAction, VAN, ActBlue and other engagement and fundraising platforms preferred.
13. Proficiency in Spanish or another language other than English is desired, but not required.
14. Above all else, a positive attitude and willingness to work collaboratively and in support of the Silver State Equality mission.
15. A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience is required; higher degree in political science, public administration, public policy, or the like, is preferred.
Salary ($55,000 – $60,000), will be based on experience and includes competitive benefits (healthcare, dental, vision, long/short term disability, life insurance and 401K). This full-time salaried exempt position will be based out of Northern Nevada and will require a flexible schedule including evening and weekend work time, as well as regular travel across Nevada. This will also include participation in some Silver State Equality’s schedule of events, including Pride festivals, fundraisers, community engagement and advocacy events, and more. Applicants will be reimbursed for mileage but must have a reliable car and be able to drive in Nevada.
Silver State Equality Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. Silver State Equality Institute does not make employment decisions or discriminate based on protected characteristics including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, gender (including gender identity and/or gender expression), sexual orientation, age, physical or mental handicaps, veteran status, or genetic information as prescribed by applicable local, state, and federal law. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply, including, but not limited to, women, people of color, people of diverse gender identities, and non-LGBTQ+ allies.
All employees must be up to date on their vaccination status in compliance with Silver State Equality/Equality California’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. New employees must provide documentation as to their vaccination status 48 hours before their start date unless they are approved for an accommodation due to a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Email resume (including names and contact of 3 references), cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please be sure to put “Civic Engagement Manager” in the subject line of your email.